Common dental concerns like teeth whitening, teeth transplant or other cosmetic dental treatments do not require any instant care or attention; an appointment with the dentist can resolve the concern. But, in case of a dental emergency, immediate and effective attention is prudent. It might be difficult to instantly visit your dentist, so here we have concisely named a few dental emergencies that may happen anytime and the simple tips to handle those dental casualties.
If a dental emergency occurs, try to remain calm and call your dentist in Hawthorn as soon as possible. Trauma in the mouth and teeth can be reduced if action is taken immediately.
Toothache may become unbearable if it is not taken care of at the minimal stage. We suggest to carefully clean the affected area with a soft-bristled toothbrush and dental floss. Rinse mouth with a solution of warm water and salt. Avoid placing an aspirin in the gums or teeth because it may burn the area. If you experience facial swelling, apply a cold compress to the area to relieve it. Take acetaminophen (for example Tylenol) and call your dentist as soon as possible.
Hitting a Tooth:
If you get hit and your tooth comes out completely, call your dentist immediately. Receiving attention within an hour of the incident is vital to re-implant the tooth without many concerns. Follow these steps before your emergency appointment:
- Recover the tooth that fell out.
- Rinse the residue gently with water. (Refrain from scrubbing the tooth, as this may damage the fragile cells of the tooth root that are necessary to implant the tooth back into the jaw).
- Carry the tooth by placing it in a clean cloth or gauze soaked in milk or a saline solution. Maintaining the humidity of the tooth increases the possibility of re-implantation.
If your tooth moves in or out due to sudden accidental impact, try placing it back using the tip of your finger and applying very light pressure. Contact your dentist in Hawthorn as soon as possible. Until you reach the dental office, stabilize the tooth and hold it in place with a damp gauze or towel.
Chipped or fractured tooth:
Splintered or fractured teeth can sometimes be repaired with quick dental care. If a tooth is splintered or fractured:
- Try to get in touch with your dentist as soon as possible.
- If the tooth is chipped, try to find the missing part and place it on a damp cloth or a sachet with a few drops of water or saliva. (If it is maintained in good condition, it may be possible to re-adhere).
- Rinse your mouth with warm water and keep it clean until you reach your dentist in Hawthorn. The treatment will vary according to the severity of the damage: from filing the struck area to sticking with a tooth-coloured material or placing a crown. If the nerve has been damaged, you may also need root canal treatment.
To help you prepare for a dental emergency, consider preparing a dental emergency kit that includes a tissue, gauze, a small container with a lid (to store teeth if required), saline solution, water and your dentist’s phone number. When facing any dental emergency, do not hesitate to call your dentist in Hawthorn. Staying calm and receiving professional care immediately is the best thing you can do.